History

At only 12 km from the island’s capital Argostoli, 2 km from the Castello di San Giorgio and 900 meters from the sea lies an enchanting olive grove, which formed part of the grand Migliaressis Estate.
Originally from Italy, Andrea Migliaresi arrived to the island in the 15th c., as military adviser to the Duke Carlo A’ Tocco, lord of Cephalonia and Lefcada.
The Migliaressis, which became one of the influential families of the island, were given nobility title and their name was written in the “Libro Consigli Famiglie Nobili” between 1593-1604.
In modern times the Estate was gradually reduced to the present 25,000 m² olive grove known as Kalyvia, which was linked to the countryside manor house of the Migliaressis family. The manor house - an impressive rural retreat - was partially destroyed by the German forces in their attempt to capture the two sons of Spiro Migliaressis, involved in the resistance, and was later totally devastated by the disastrous earthquake of 1953.

Now, the Estate is the property of ambassador Lysander Migliaressis - Phocas and his wife Lila, who have carefully restored it and did the best of the beautiful landscape that surrounds it, thus bringing it to its former glory.